Located on the Southern part of Dalmatia, Dubrovnik is one of the most sought after destinations of Croatia. Clear landscapes, pristine blue waters, exotic beaches, magnificent castles and forts, artistic cathedrals and monasteries is what describes Dubrovnik. Until 1991, Dubrovnik was badly hit by the aftermath of the relentless shelling by the Yugoslav troops, destroying most of the existing historic structures.
After the Erdut agreement of 1995, UNESCO together with the European Union made a special commission and took the initiative to reconstruct the city. Due to this, the city has revived its earlier charm and glory and once again has become the haven for the tourists.
Rector’s palace was the political and administrative centre of the Republic of Ragusa. It was designed by Onofrio De La Cava in 1435. The portico was added in the year 1465 and was the artistry of Michelozzo Michelozzi. The arches and loggias were designed by Onofrio De La Cava.
The internal courtyard forms venue to the Festival of Dubrovnik. The rooms of the palace have been converted into the Dubrovnik Museum (Dubrovački Muzeĵ) which symbolizes the history of Dubrovnik through its artistic paintings, sculptures, furniture and philately. The famous unit of measure ‘The Dubrovnik Arm’ forms one of the main attractions.
Cathedral & Treasury:
This cathedral was built after the earthquake of 1667 by the Roman Architects Andrea Buffalini and Paolo Andreotti. The cathedral is decorated with Italian and Dalmatian paintings between 16th and 18th centuries.
The Cathedral Treasury alongside the church is famous for its more than 200 reliquaries. These reliquaries include the ‘Arm of St. Blaise’ dating back to the 13th Century and the ‘Holy Cross’, containing a fragment on it which was used to crucify Jesus Christ. The treasury also has an extraordinary collection of objects in gold and silver which symbolizes the flora and fauna around Dubrovnik.
Church of St. Blaise:
The Church of Blaise was rebuilt in the early 18th century and contains many Baroque works of art. The statue of St. Blaise stands at the main altar. Produced in the 15th century, in gold plated silver, it depicts the saint holding a model of the city in the Middle Ages.
Remodelled between 1516- 1522, Sponza palace is located to the left of the Square of Loggia. It has the Renaissance Loggia on the ground floor, three mullioned window on the first, epitomising the 14th century origins and the statue of St. Blaise on the third. It presently houses the state archives.
The Dominican Monastery was started in the year 1315 and due to is massive size, it necessitated the enlargement of the city walls. It showcases the artistry of numerous styles such as the work of Bonino of Milan, Paulo Veneziano (14th Century), Maso di Bartolomeo (15th Century),and some extraordinary works of art from ‘Dubrovnik-School’ and ‘Venetian School’ as well as a prestigious collection of reliquaries in gold and silver.
Next to the Dominican Monastery is the Ploče Gate, which leads to the port on the Mediterranean. The gate formed the entrance to the goods that entered and got out if the city.
The most visited structure of the Walls Defensive Structures. Designed by Michelozzo Michelozzi in the 15th Century, it was completed by Juraj Dalmatinic three years later. The semicircular tower is surrounded by a second tower with embrasures on the top.
Pile Gate is the main entrance to the fortified centre. The stone bridge leading to the Pile Gate is from Early 16th Century. The semi-circular arch gate holds on its top the statue of St. Blaise, the patron saint of Dubrovnik. The gate is a strong defensive structure built on several levels.
The guarding boundaries of the city, the Walls symbolize the strength and prosperity of Dubrovnik, with magnificent views from the guard’s walkway. They were constructed in the 10th Century and then modified subsequently in the 13th Century. The part of the Wall facing the Adriatic port is protected by the Fort of St. John and other towers. The Revelin and the Lovrjenac fortresses form the Eastern and the Western defences respectively.
Fort of St. John:
This fort was designed to protect the harbour which it used to do with the help of a chain that extended from this fort to the island in front and then across the tower of St. Luke along the walls.
The upper areas of the house has the Maritime Museum which showcases the maritime history of Dubrovnik depicted by ship models, portraits and artefacts of the museum.
The lower level houses an Aquarium with a collection of the Mediterranean marine life, including the sea horses, symbol of the institution.
The Stradŭn (Placa) is a wide street which crosses the city from East to West between the two city gates. Constructed in the 12th century, it was actually built over a marsh land with exceptional architectural ingenuity and precision. The street was paved in 1468 and infrastructure constructed subsequently after the earthquake of 1667. Today, over the buried marshlands stands multiple stone houses along with a plush street, lined with bars, cafe’s, restaurants and is buzz ling with tourists in the evenings.