Singapore has a plethora of activities for children let alone for adults. From ecological parks to amphitheatres, specialized aquariums to museums and zoos, it is not only fun but also a great learning experience. With more than over 2800 animals inhabiting the lush green rain forest, the Singapore zoo promises never ending fun, shows and rides, photo opportunities and an experience worth a lifetime!!!!
About Singapore Zoo:
Singapore Zoo was opened on 27th June 1973.It is operated by the Wildlife Reserves Singapore which also conducts the Night Safaris. There are more than 315 species of animals in the zoo, some of which are endangered species. The zoo is maintained by highly specialized team which works all the year round not only for the preservation of the animals, but also making the experience remarkable for millions of travellers visiting the zoo.
The zoo has a simulated environment designed and landscaped especially for the creating an environment for the survival and preservation of the animals.
- Elephants of Asia: Witness the rare breed of the Asian elephants and learn how you can contribute to save these endangered species with only 50000 or less remaining in the entire world. Be awed by their enormous strength, intellect and skills.
- The Great Rift Valley of Ethiopia: Hamadryas Baboons: Baboons, ibexes, black-backed jackals, storks and mongooses. Play around and enjoy with them and witness the beauty of the Ethiopian environment in the backdrop.
- Fragile Forest: Walk through the world’s largest walk-through butterfly dome and meet the sloths, lemurs and flying foxes and learn how the interact with the natural surroundings.
- Australian Outback: Australia bought to you in a small package. Shake hands with the kangaroos as they hop around in the outback; watch the frill necked lizard, the shining emus, and the other natives.
- Rainforest Kidzworld: A combination of a water wonderland and animal kingdom. Not only can the children splash around the entire water world, but also, enjoy the pony rides, animal contact sessions and obstacle courses.
Witness the farm animals like ponies and flabella, goats and rabbits. To top this experience off, bring home a photograph as a keepsake.
- Free Ranging Orang Utans: Meet our closest ancestors and know how the human species have derived their intellect from these animals. The smartest of the entire monkey species, witness them as they play and swing around in the world’s first free ranging orang utan habitat.
- Reptile Garden: Meet and befriend the giant tortoises of the reptile garden. Watch the modern day dragons, snakes and crocodiles as they lurk around in the garden.
Moving Around Within the Zoo:
- Wild Discoverer Tour: The Wild Discoverer Tour allows you to hire a personal guide who can take you for a quick tour of the Singapore Zoo and give you an insight of the Fragile Forest, Great Rift Valley of Ethiopia or the Reptile Garden!!
- Unlimited Tram Rides: The trams are available at all the four stations inside the zoo. You can take your tour at your own time and learn about the place at your own speed. Choose to spend more time at one site and less at the other.
- Unlimited Boat Rides: The boat rides run from the Entrance Plaza and flows through the serene Seletar Reservoir. Charge your cameras and get ready to click as you watch the shore line with some of the most fascinating birds and animals of the zoo.
- Animal Rides: The Rainforest Kidzworld allows three types of animal rides, Wild Animal Carousel, Horse Carriage and Pony Rides. The timings are between 10:00 am and 05:45 pm. The Elephant Rides are available at the Elephant Ride Area and are available between 01:15 pm and 05:30 pm.
- Splash Safari: The Splash Safari Show can be seen at the Shaw Foundation Amphitheatre between 10:30 am and 05:30 pm. The sea safari embarks you on a joy ride to witness the zoo’s aquatic kingdom and thrill you with their awe-inspiring flips, dives and stunts. Will surely drive the kids crazy.
- Animal Friends Show: Strictly for kids!!! And no moment of fun can be missed out for sure. Have your kids join the presenters and animals for more jumps, tricks, fun and enjoyment.
- Elephants at work and play: Venued at the Elephants of Asia, this show helps the children to witness the human animal relationship up-close. Watch how the mahouts communicate with the elephants to make them perform some of the craziest and funniest tricks.
- Rainforest Fights Back: At the Shaw Foundation Amphitheatre, the rainforest at the verge of destruction and extinction is being preserved by the presence of the lemurs, orang utans, otters, pea fowls and many more.
Animal Feeding Programmes:
The Animal Feeding Programmes are separate shows altogether and have been kept that way for a more personal experience and I suggest it should be experienced that way, as trying to enjoy them with a regular tour may only stand half-hearted. The feeding programme is divided into three parts as Morning Feeding Trail-1, Afternoon Feeding Trail-1, and Afternoon Feeding Trail-2. The timings are between 09:15 am and 05:00 pm. The feeding programme allows feeding animals such as the Elephants, Giraffes, white rhinoceroses, gibbons, African Lions, Cheetah, Warthog, Meerkat, Otter, Pygmy Hippos, kangaroos, giant tortoises, Hamadryas Baboon, Komodo dragon, snakes and crocodiles.
Shopping & Dining:
- Jungle Breakfast with wildlife: The only zoo in the world where one can have breakfast in the vicinity of the wildlife. You CANNOT afford to miss out on this one….
- The Wild Deli: Serves Gourmet sandwiches and pastries
- Ah Meng: Serves local café delights and Asian cuisines.
- KFC: If you are looking for some wings on the roast.
- Ben and Jerry’s: Cool down from the session with a frosty treat.
Planning your trip inside:
If you are planning to take a night Safari, then be sure that you will have to keep one complete day for your trip here. The night Safari starts at 07:30 pm onwards until midnight.
The best way to start the trip is to take the breakfast at the Ah Meng Restaurant, where you can enjoy the Breakfast with Wildlife. It starts daily at 09:00 am every day, and can help you get charged for the long day inside.
It will not be possible to watch all the shows inside, as the timings are at a difference of only 30 mins during the day and evening. Also, the route traversed by the tram and the placement of the venues is exactly in opposite equation, with the Splash Safari at the centre of the park and its show starting at 10:30 am, whereas, the Rainforest Kidzworld being the first destination along the route and its show timings starting from 11:30 onwards, forcing one to traverse in an opposite direction to that of the tram route, often by walk. A rough plan as per time line can be considered this way:-
- 09:00 am to 09:30 am: Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife
- 09:35 am to 10:30 am: Take the tram from Station-1 and start along the tram route. Watch the attractions enroute such as the Wild Africa, Frozen Tundra, Cat Country, Reptile Garden, Tropical Crops, Orchid Garden, Fragile Forest, SPH Foundation Conservation Centre and finally disembark at Station-3 to move towards Splash Safari Show.
- 10:30 am to 11:30 am: Enjoy your time at the Splash Safari Show.
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm: Elephants of Asia Show
- 12:30 pm to 01:30 pm: Rainforest Fights Back Show
- 01:30 pm to 02:00 pm: Take a bite close to the Primate Kingdom Area.
- 02:00 pm to 03:15 pm: Explore the place around and check out the Great Rift Valley of Ethiopia, Australian Outback, Garden Pavilion, and the African Penguin. Do not miss out on the Elephant Ride right next to Station-3. Take the tram from Station-3 and move to Station-4 to embark the boat from Boat Dock-1. The Unlimited Boat Ride facility can get you from Boat Dock-1 to Boat Dock-2 by 04:00 pm for the Animal Friends Show at the Rainforest Kidzworld Amphitheatre.
- 04:00 pm to 05:00 pm: Enjoy the programme at the Animal Friends Show.
- 05:00 pm to 05:40 pm: You can take a bite at the venue and take the Boat Ride at Boat Dock-2. The last boat is available from there by 05:50 pm, which gets you back to Boat Dock-1. You may miss out on the pony ride here. If you wish to enjoy this part of the show too, you can adjust the timings to start by 02:30 pm from the Boat Dock-1.
- 06:00 pm to 06:45 pm: Disembark at Boat Dock-1 and move for the Night Safari which starts at 07:30 pm.
- 07:30 pm to 12:00 am: Night Safari at the venue.
**PS: If you miss out on some of the shows or places, do not worry. Life is all about making the most of it, not all of it, right?? So, enjoy what you are able to grab as you are there, and do not grudge on what you missed out on. After all, there should be a reason to come back once again..
Some Do’s and Don’ts:
- Respect the animals, and they will respect you back.
- Stay only in the human moving areas, and avoid getting close to the animals for any reason.
- Do not litter. The staff inside really work hard to maintain the zoo and least we can do is, give them back by not littering around. Also, the cameras are watching you all the time.
- Do not flash cameras on the animals, especially elephants. You do not want to get chased and stampeded.
- Emergency Hotline: (65) 6360 8650.
- Be careful on the rides. Be inside the vehicle and do not have body parts jutting out of the vehicle.
- Be careful on the boat rides. Do not lean on the edges of the boat.
- Do not feed animals with what they are not supposed to be fed. Some species are already endangered.