Located on the busy narrow streets of Thamel district, Hotel Tibet Peace Inn initially appears low profile. Through the busy street, it might easily slip the eyes of someone who is here for the first time. My situation was no different. We had arrived at the Tribhuvan International Airport as scheduled where the hotel staff anxiously awaited to receive us. Here’s our stay experience with family with Hotel Tibet Peace Inn, on our trip to Nepal.
Pre-booking Hotel Tibet Peace Inn
While planning our trip to Nepal, I decided to book and hold the hotel prices well in advance. One of the best advantages of using the booking.com platform is that they allow you to not only lock the prices, but also allow you pay-at-hotel option. However, you must make it a point to drop an email and ask the hotel whether they have a policy of early payments before check-in. Some hotels ask you to pay 72 hours before check-in, while others might be okay with receiving payments at the counter. Also, while paying at the reception, the currency exchange rate will come into play.
We had booked two triple rooms and one double room for our stay. After I booked the hotel with a ‘Pay Later’ option, I sent a confirmation email to the hotel about our arrival. Three days before our check-in, I called up the hotel and was attended by Mr. Badri Aryal, who had already made arrangements for our arrival and stay at the hotel.
Check Prices Here
A Warm Reception at the Tribhuvan International Airport
It was around 02:30 pm in the afternoon when we came out of the airport. We had taken the Indigo flight from New Delhi and had a convenient hop from there. For communication purpose, the best way is to buy the local SIM card that can be instantly activated using the passport. My brother’s family had also joined us on this trip, and they took a separate flight to reach here. Once a year, it is our ritual to get together and take a family trip. As a part of the tradition, this time we had chosen to travel to Nepal. My elder brother Rajiv had reached the airport before us as he had traveled by a separate flight.
However, there was a slight hiccup today. The driver who had come to receive us had for some reason went out of communication and this made Mr. Badri a little jittery. I came to know this from the second driver and he had not moved an inch until he received me at the airport. Another van had received my brother and his family already and they had headed for the hotel from the airport. Till we reached the hotel, a series of calls followed to make sure we have been received properly and are headed to the hotel. The vans reached in front of the hotel where we were received with a warm smile.
Rooms and Facilities
We were allotted the corner triple rooms that were simple, elegant, spacious and surprisingly warm. The temperatures in Kathmandu were hitting a rock bottom of 5 degrees and the room heating came with much relief. We completed our check-in formalities and moved into our rooms. The rooms come with a central heating system that takes care of the hot water during the stay. The hotel has a small central lobby for serving breakfast between 07:00 am and 10:00 am. The hotel has a limited of 26 rooms but are worth the comfort. Here are some pros and cons that you get while staying at the hotel.
- Spacious accommodation and amenities.
- Serves Continental Buffet Breakfast daily.
- Well connected with the nearby markets and public transportation
- Available at a budget pricing
- Provides concierge services and private group tours.
- Recreational facilities
- The hotel does not have a full-fledged restaurant and only serves breakfast; other meals need to be taken outside.
- For those who are not used to stairs, and for elderly, the elevators and lifts are not available.
Hotel Tibet Peace Inn Review
Here’s my overall review based on our 4N/5D stay experience at Hotel Tibet Peace Inn:-
- Location – 8/10: Well connected with the airport and Central Kathmandu.
- Pricing – 9/10: The hotel rooms are available at best budget prices. The rooms start from INR 1800 onwards.
- Check-In and Reception – 8/10: Everything about our reception at airport to our check-in was well taken care of. Despite the fact that there was some coordination issue, the staff took it as their personal responsibility to make sure we were attended for small requirements.
- Food – 7½/10: The Ayur Cafe Restaurant serves the best of local cuisine. Try the local recipes. You will love them.
- Transport Availability – 8/10: The place is conveniently reachable by taxi and is about 8 km from the International Airport.
- Room Service – 8/10: The rooms are equipped with basic yet well maintained amenities.
- Concierge – 8/10: I am also rating this hotel for the tours as they had arranged our local sightseeing also. It couldn’t have been better.
- Overall Rating- 9/10: We had a great stay here. Would love to visit again when in Kathmandu.